6th October – 3rd November 2020
An online Solo Jazz 5-week course to get you dancing! Pre-recorded video materials to practice in your own time and personal feedback each week for those who fancy sending through their practice clips!
All levels welcome – currently catering to:
|| On this course we will work on ||
– Vernacular Jazz vocabulary and styling
– Exercises and challenges to improve rhythm, movement and fluidity
– Cultural and historical understanding of jazz dance and music
– a routine to help integrate moves and ideas
|| Resources on this course include ||
– Weekly email providing new video tutorials including a little warm up to get you started!
– Music playlists to practice to
– Inspirational videos from original dancers
– Upload your practice video and send it via email to receive personal feedback
|| Timings ||
approx 6pm – New videos to dance along with at home
You can dance and practice at a time that suits you!
|| Cost ||
£50 – Regular Rate
£40 – Concession Rate
Pay What You Can available too 🙂
Classes are run using pre-recorded videos and online materials sent out on Tuesday evenings so you can work through the content in your own time at your own pace. Feel free to email me with any questions or issues.
1. What is Vernacular Jazz Dance?
– A Black American art form traditionally danced to jazz and swing music, and evolved in the 1920s through to the 1940s alongside partner dances such as the Lindy Hop.
2. What time is the class?
– all materials are online and pre-recorded, so no obligation to tune in live. You’ll get a weekly email on Tuesdays at 6pm with fresh content to get dancing with.
3. Which level should I go for?
– Beginners/Improvers is for people wanting to work on the basics, and probably good for anyone new or relatively new to solo jazz. It’s also a good way to build confidence and get a solid framework for routine learning, exploration and improvisation in Vernacular Jazz
– Intermediate/Advanced is for people who have done enough Vernacular Jazz classes to know the Shim Sham, Tranky Doo, Big Apple or similar routines, and have a basic understanding of many jazz steps already. We’ll work on trickier combos, essential technique, challenging rhythms and movements.
4. What if the level I chose is actually too easy/challenging? Can I change?
– yes you can change level at any time! You’ll get access to all the weeks of content for the new level.
– if you’d like more challenging content and you’re already in the Intermediate/Advanced course, feel free to message me
5. Do I have to send a video of my dancing?
– totally optional! But if you want some direct weekly feedback you’ll definitely need to!
6. What if I need longer to complete the course/I miss a week of learning the material?
– take as much time as you need. The material will be available for at least 3 weeks after the last date of the course, but can be extended for individuals who still need more time. Just let me know if that’s you!
7. I missed the start date! Can I start this course now? (a few weeks into the course)
– of course! You can start whenever you like. The only difference will be that if you join part way through, a few weeks of content will already be uploaded to the website. Everything is labelled for each week though so you can still follow it sequentially, or you can pick-and-mix the content at your leisure.